Summer Staycation! Who is with me? It’s not always easy to plan an actual vacation. So many factors from work, to kids, to budget that can make it hard to get away. Have you tried a staycation?
You might be thinking, so what exactly is a staycation? It’s when you stay in your hometown and look at it through the lens of a tourist. Take the weekend to explore your city like you are on vacation. It’s a mind set. When I’m on vacation I relax, eat what I want, and explore.
Due to the daily grind you are missing out on so many opportunities in your own town or city (or a neighboring one) that are gold mines! Let’s talk about some easy ways to have a simple (yet amazing) summer staycation!
Click the photos to shop my outfit!
Find the Most Popular places on the Internet
The internet is GOLD. Here are some quick tips to use the internet to plan the perfect summer staycation.
- Use Yelp to look up popular restaurants in your area that are highly rated that you have not tried.
- Google “most instagrammable spots in (insert city). I use this hack all the time when traveling!
- Use hotels.com to check out the best hotels in your price point for your staycation
Stalk Social Media
Now that you have picked out some options between restaurants, activities, and hotels use Instagram to get a feel for their vibe.
Tip #1: Look at the photos the hotel/restaurant are tagged in not the ones they are posting! Obviously they are going to use the best and most professional photos. What they are being tagged in is a more accurate representation of what you are actually going to get.
Tip #2: Search hashtags of the restaurant, hotel, or city. This will allow you to see what others are posting and see if it’s in line with what you like!
What would a tourist do?
Treat your hometown like a tourist. You have already done all the research so you know where to eat and stay. What about activities?
- Get a massage or use the spa at your hotel
- Take a walk in a park
- Visit a museum, amusement park, or historical attraction
- Do something that is unique to your location!
- It’s Summer!! Head to the water parks
- Check out the famous ice cream spots in your area and treat yourself!
It’s ok to do nothing
Don’t feel pressure to do something! If you are the type of person that needs to unwind than this is your time. Here are some ideas if you prefer to skip the excursions, museums, and activities for some down time.
- Sit at the pool or beach with a book
- Find a local winery and drink some yummy wine (or pick up a bottle and drink it at your hotel)
- Order room service and watch tv or a movie (I love room service!)
- Make friends or relax at the hotel bar
- Explore your hotel (hotels have so many things you really don’t have to leave!)
- Get a room with a balcony and enjoy your own personal oasis
Get in some shopping!
One of my favorite things to do (in everyday life and on vacation) is to shop! I also am notorious for shopping before my vacation so that I have cute resort wear like this two piece! Here are some of my go-to pre-vacation retailers!
Photography: Monica Aguinaga
*I use affiliate links at no cost to you. If you choose to make a purchase through my link I make a small commission. Thank you for trusting my recommendations!