Did “Pretty Woman” ruin over the knee boots?
I love Julia Roberts, but not trying to emulate her character from Pretty Woman. Sometimes, over the knee boots get a bad rep because they can look inappropriate. It really depends on a few factors whether over the knee boots look trashy or classy. Do you want to know the best way to wear over the knee boots without looking trashy? Great, let’s get into it!
The worst way to wear over the knee boots
To begin, let’s talk about what not to do. I think that’s alway good to know. If you want to avoid looking trashy than stay away from boots that are made of latex and cheap material. Stay clear of boots like these! Avoid boots that are way too tight and also too big for your legs. It’s important to get a good fit. Also be mindful of the clothing you wear with over the knee boots. Avoid short bandage dresses. Also, avoid more than 5 inches of skin showing between your clothing and boots.
5 best ways to wear otk boots and look stylish
- Invest in good quality, classy, and well made boots. I love suede boots because they are gorgeous and timeless. These are my absolute favorite over the knee boots. They are an investment but SO worth it. Don’t want to spend $800? I get it, not everyone wants to spend that much on shoes. These are the BEST dupes for less than 100 bucks and look exactly like Stuart Weitzman.
- The clothes you pair with your boots is essential for an overall stylish look. Avoid tight going out dresses as previously discussed and opt in for loose, casual dresses. Over the knee boots also look great with jeans and sweaters or skirts and knits. I love a good long sleeve dress like the one I am wearing in these photos. This dress hits all the right notes because it’s flowy, long-sleeve, and a feminine color. This makes it a perfect match with over the knee boots.
- Colors are important too! Monochromatic and solid colors don’t draw attention to the boots but pair together to create a stylish ensemble. Just imagine wearing a bright sequin dress and otk boots. That screams for attention and doesn’t necessarily pair well together. You don’t have to wear dark colors (I love wearing light colors as evidenced by my photos) but wear colors that work well together and flatter each other. Avoid clashing colors because it makes the over the knee boots stand out (in all the wrong ways!)
- Layers work well with boots. Long cardigans, trench coats, or long sleeve dresses work really well with over the knee boots. It looks best when parts of your body are covered (you know, because it should be a little cold outside if you are wearing boots)!
- Get a pair that you can walk in! The last thing you want is to struggle in your boots because you are going to look like a mess! The ones I am wearing are 4 inches and really comfortable but I love the 2.5 inch version too! ($99 version here)
Links for items in photos
If these items are sold out find similar items at Revolve or Shopbop (love these stores) for similar brands. The absolute best dupes for over the knee boots are found here! They are a fraction of the price and perfect if you are on a budget or just prefer not to buy expensive shoes.
Photography: Christine Michelle
*I use affiliate links at no cost to you. If you choose to make a purchase through my link I make a small commission. Thank you for trusting my recommendations!