How to update your wardrobe
How to update your wardrobe in 2018! I can’t believe the year has come and gone. It has been an amazing year filled with so much love and new beginnings. If you are curious about how my year went and what my New Year’s resolutions are you can read it here. Getting personal with all of you is something that I hope to do more of this year!
How to update your wardrobe this year
Now let’s talk about our wardrobe for this year. This is the perfect time to celebrate the New Year with a new wardrobe! Out with the old and in with the new! It can seem overwhelming but I love to clean out my closet. I do it almost monthly. For me, it releases anxiety and makes me feel really good about myself and what I am wearing.
Let’s begin with where to start. These steps are what I use and have helped me.
- Take everything out of your closet (annoying I know, but trust me this step is important)
- You are going to make 3 categories: Keep, Sell, Donate Or you can just do keep and donate
- Pick up each individual item and ask yourself the following questions:
- Have I worn this item in the past year?
- Does it make me feel good?
- Is it flattering?
- Does it work with other items in my wardrobe?
You must answer YES to 3 out of 4 of those questions to keep the item. That may seem strict but the goal is to get rid of your items so you have a functional wardrobe that you LOVE and that makes you feel good.
Now that you have figured out what clothing items you are going to keep, let’s talk about what to do with your unwanted items! There are many options but here are a few of my favorites:
- Sell your clothes on poshmark (Shop my closet)
- Donate your clothes to Goodwill
- If you have business attire you can donate to a local organization that helps women looking for jobs
- Have any friends or family your size? I am sure some of them would LOVE to receive some of your gently used clothing
How to update your wardrobe with new clothes
Now let’s talk about the fun part: shopping for new clothes! If you sold some of your items you will have some extra cash to purchase new ones. The biggest tip I can give when shopping for new clothes is to know your uniform. What colors do you normally wear? What material is comfortable and you reach for the most? Don’t make the mistake of shopping for your fantasy life (I have done this SO many times) but focus on the life you are actually living. Let’s break it down with do’s and dont’s when shopping for a new wardrobe.
- Know your inventory. Do you currently need more jeans? If so, what color do you need? Break it down by category of item and then get more specific with color and fit
- If you are a visual person create lookbooks or make boards on Pinterest.
- If you love making lists (this is me LOL) then make a list of the items you think your wardrobe needs. Break it down into the following categories: NEED, WANT, LUXURY and then save/buy accordingly.
- Purchase clothes that fit your lifestyle
- Invest in items that you love and will get a lot of use. I prefer to spend my money on designer handbags and shoes.
- Purchase an item just because it’s on sale
- Shop when you are stressed or anxious or angry (I am a sucker for this and TRUST ME please learn from my mistakes and DON’T DO IT). You will overspend and purchase items that may not get much use or that breaks the bank.
- Purchase clothes for your “future self”. Pick clothes that fit you NOW. If you lose or gain weight you can sell your clothes in the future (and buy new ones!)
- Buy an item but have nowhere to go. When I worked in retail I did this ALL THE TIME. I was like “oh this is the perfect dress for a baby shower” but none of my friends even had babies. Wait for the actual event to happen because trust me, that dress you picked out a year ago that seemed perfect for a baby shower will no longer be current or cute and you will want a new one.
I hope you enjoyed this post! Feel free to leave me a comment below!
Photography Credit: Studio Magnolia